Wednesday 9 April 2014

Advice

Several people have written to me recently asking for my advice about their drinking patterns, notably, whether I think they have a problem or not.

I am no expert on this and can only give my opinion which is largely based on my own experience.

Three incredibly astute things I heard, when I asked the same questions around 3 years ago, have remained with me:

1. If you think you may have a problem, you probably do.
2. Advice is what you ask for when you know the correct answer, but wish you didn't.
3. If you are still reading this site, you probably do have a problem.

There will always be exceptions who prove the rule. One way to find out is to try going alcohol free for a defined period. If the thought of this fills you with dread, you have your answer. If you lose count of the days since your last drink, you also have your answer.

Whatever your answer, it is your answer and it is up to you if you want to address it. Even if others are pushing you, you may not be ready, you may not yet have reached that stage. But when, and if, you decide to change things, remember you have to want to change for you, not for anyone else.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Go on, spill.

Follow @SoberRachel